improvisor - Impro-Visor is a music notation program for jazz musicians
Impro-Visor (short for Improvisation Advisor) is a music notation
program designed to help jazz musicians compose and hear solos
similar to ones that might be improvised. The objective is to
improve understanding of solo construction and tune chord changes.
* Lead sheets and solos can be constructed through either
point-and-click or using a plain text editor (one is provided,
but any editor can be used). Solos or solo fragments can be
played back immediately on the computer, with chord accompaniment.
* It is not necessary that the soloist memorize the solos that are
created in Impro-Visor. Rather the act of constructing solos is
supposed to help one get a better understanding of the tune and of
solo construction. But one can use some, if not all, of the ideas
from the solos constructed, as many outstanding players have done
* Impro-Visor also provides a way for the user to create and save
licks for later use. Lick creation is helpful in understanding
how to construct interesting lines over chord changes.
* When used for transcription, Impro-Visor allows easy mining of
selected licks from a solo for future reference.
* Impro-Visor uses dynamic menus in the form shown to help one
choose notes, cells, idioms, licks, and quotes for use in
constructing a solo.
* Musical knowledge about chords, scales, licks, etc. are definable
by the user, in the form of a vocabulary text file. These items are
defined in a single key, and Impro-Visor will transpose them to
* Impro-Visor saves solos and other lead sheets as free-form text.
We call this leadsheet notation. Although a point-and-click
interface is provided, users can optionally enter chords and/or
melody in this notation with a standard text editor and have them
displayed as a lead sheet in Impro-Visor. The documentation tells
how to create and interpret the notation. The notation also
provides slash-chords and polychords.
* The release of Impro-Visor comes with a few leadsheets with
melodies, a number of sample solos, transcriptions, and The
Imaginary Book, a large set (over 1600) of chords-only lead
sheets for standard and jazz tunes.
- Enable PCLinuxOS x86_64 repository in /etc/apt/sources.list:
rpm http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/64bit x86_64
- Update the package index:
# apt-get update
- Install improvisor rpm package:
# apt-get install improvisor